Friday, October 28, 2005

Things that seem obvious...

So, I was just taking a peanut-butter, banana, chocolate-chip bread (my own recipe) out of the oven, and a thought came to me: Why are there so many things that no one prepares us for when we go out on our own? Like, there's a ton of stuff that seems obvious to me now, but I remember not really grasping a lot of it until I had been out of my parents' house for quite some time.

I decided that I would start listing this stuff, and make it an on-going project.

You shouldn't soak, or place in the dishwasher, any wooden utensils. It will ruin the wood or set your dishwasher on fire.

You have to make your own dentist appointments. No one's going to do it for you.

You should know how to cook at least three things. This way you can always impress a date, impress your parents, or feed yourself when you get sick of peanut butter and jelly.

Don't ever "just put five bucks" in your gas tank. You're just causing more trips for yourself. Fill up when you're at the gas station.

Flossing is really important. If you do it every night, you may be preventing heart disease.

If you spend $100 dollars for a shirt and you put it on a credit card, you will actually pay about $121 for that shirt. Pay off your credit cards every month unless it's an emergency. Then, pay off as much as you can. The best thing to do is never spend more than you actually have. It's a hard concept to get, but you'll sleep much better.

Someone will screw up your order, unless you make them read it back to you. Check every bag before you leave the restaurant!

Life isn't supposed to be serious all the time. If you can't laugh at yourself, LEARN TO!

A guy will tell you everything about himself on the first date if you ask him. I guarantee if you ask him, "Have you ever cheated on anyone," he'll tell you the truth before he realizes it. Ask him ANYTHING... he'll tell you.

And, no. You can't change him.

Being honest is really hard. But the rewards are wonderful.

Getting a good night's sleep is really important.

It really is better to keep your mouth shut unless you have something nice to say. Unless you're being catty with your best friend. Then, talk away!

It is okay to say "no" sometimes. Everyone can't expect you to do everything all the time!

Okay, before I sound too much like Larry King or Andy Rooney, I'll shut up. More to come later, maybe! And feel free to add to the list, if you so desire.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

Thought I'd start my Halloween weekend off by RE-reading your words. So glad I did.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's mine to add to your list...

if you put things away right after your done with them - you never have a mess and then people (me) don't think your a total and complete slob. Plus it's much easier to actually clean this way. It only take seconds, as opposed to waiting until things pile up and then it takes what feels like days.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home