Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Losing My Cool

There was one cool thing about me left. I could stay up until 3:00 AM with absolutely no problem, seven nights a week. That's slowly slipping away.

Let me clarify. I'm not someone anyone would classify as "cool". I mean, people might think I'm cool as in nice, but definitely not "cool" as in someone who starts trends or is incredibly interesting or has a mohawk or tattoos or a nose ring or wears leather. Get it?

But, the one cool thing I could hang my hat on is that I was a night owl. It really started back when I was 19 and working at TGI Fridays. I would often work until 2:00 AM, then head to the nearest Dennys with friends to eat Grand Slams and drink five cups of coffee. Then we'd talk until the sun came up and finally go to sleep, waking up around noon or 1:00.

When my husband and I met, we would stay up until all hours talking, watching TV, drinking, you-know-whating. And until very recently, I could hang with him until about 2:00 or 2:30 in the morning. Frankly, I'd pride myself on staying up late and sleeping in. I could scoff at those friends of mine who were in bed by 10:00 PM and waking up at 6:00. I would laugh when someone yawned at midnight. "What a lightweight," I'd think, "He or She can't even keep up with me!" I was cool. I loved the night and ignored the morning. And I really liked that about myself.

Well, now I'm feeling this weird switch. For the last couple of weeks, I've been getting up with my husband when the alarm goes off for his new job. I pop out of bed before he does, putting on my slippers, making coffee, feeding all the animals and starting the oatmeal. I've even been taking Bogie for some morning walks!! I was working out yesterday at 8:00 AM! I thought I'd NEVER lift a weight before nightfall. And I've actually been getting some stuff done before noon. Stuff! Stuff, I tell you!

Well, this morning the shit hit the fan. At 7:15, my eyes popped open, and there was no going back. Now, I do not wake up without an alarm, okay? That is not who I am. I hate mornings! But there I was, wide awake with Bogie and Russ sleeping soundly next to me. I got up. I fed the animals. I made the oatmeal, the coffee, and a few calls. I returned emails, did some errands, and I was in the gym by 10:15. WHO AM I??

Last night I had dinner at my friend's house and I was yawning at 9:00! I was asleep by 11:45! I am not a morning person, damn it! Have I said that enough? I live for the darkness!! I'm "cool"!

So, there it is. I am begrudgingly morphing from a Night Owl into an Early Bird. Unfortunately, my husband is not. So, there will have to be a few nights a week where I chug coffee to stay awake an extra hour or two. At least those nights I'll be cool. Or not.

(Click Pic to Enlarge)

This drawing was lovingly done by my friend Max Koch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Markowitz said...

I believe I speak for morning people everywhere when I say, "You're still cool! Nights just got boring!"

3:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

mike - I have to disagree. The plain truth is - we are officially old.
Sigh.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home