Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 22nd, 2008

My dad pointed out two shining examples of my "Mommy Brain" from my last blog:
It's not an "exposition" game. It's an "exhibition" game.
It's not "The Colosseum". It's "The Coliseum".

Of course, "Mommy Brain" is just something stupid people have coined because they finally have an excuse for their stupidity. I FINALLY HAVE AN EXCUSE!!

In other news, Garrett is pulling himself across the room and will probably start crawling any minute now. His very first destination? An electrical outlet!! Are babies really that cliche'? Luckily, he turned around with one loud, "Garrett, NO!" However, I have to start baby-proofing three weeks ago. I'm not going to go crazy with the baby-proofing. Just the basics: A couple of gates, a couple cabinet locks, and some outlet covers. Probably a coffee table bumper as well. I promised myself I wouldn't get a toilet lock. I'm hoping to keep that promise.

I'm still figuring out the nanny thing and it makes me sick to my stomach. Is it so wrong that I just want to be home every minute hanging out with my child? I mean, that's a little bit of an exaggeration. I'd like to leave occasionally. But the whole, "paying someone to watch your kid" thing really kills me. At least I made it seven months without it. And if I never work again, I might go a lot longer! Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging ANYONE who has someone to watch their kid... I'm actually judging myself for not figuring out how to do it. I just want to find a person who's totally flexible, can watch Garrett ONLY when I need to go to an audition, a job, or the supermarket, and can live on $30 a week. WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO FIND?

And with that, I am going to have a bowl of Cheerios and go to sleep.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommy brain it is! It seems as though this shouldn't be so hard, but sometimes, it just is...and unfair! Going back to work and childcare is just...hard.

The Joys of Crawling...more to come! (Keep moving Bogie!) Love AL

7:42 PM  
Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

"Mommy Brain" by Lisa Arch. A comical collection of short essays concerning the mind's immediate degeneracy commonly preceding the giving of birth.

With illustrations by Max Koch.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving a voice to EVERYTHING going on in my head!!! We have to get together soon! Love ya!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go crazy with the baby proofing.

Seriously.

Forget what people without kids say about how "over the top" that may seem. "Toilet locks? Right."

While safety is a serious concern, it's also as much about peace of mind, and the ability to turn your head, focus and get things done.

Turns out an ounce of prevention is actually worth time to you.

just 2 cents

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home