Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25th, 2008

I was changing Garrett's diaper this morning when he made a sort-of clapping gesture. I encouraged it by saying, "Good job, Garrett! You clapped!" I do that type of thing whenever he's sort-of doing, well... Almost anything. Just in case he's actually doing, well... Something.

He smiled thankfully and we went on with our day.

Then, at breakfast? He clapped again. But this time he giggled a bit when he did it. And when I said, "Good job, Garrett", he laughed and clapped some more. Then he did it again at lunch, in his play pen, at another diaper change, in the blow-up pool, and in the bath. Yup! He's clapping!

Which brings me to my point: I didn't even THINK about all the milestones, all the things he's going to do for the FIRST time. Sure, you know you're going to be excited when he gets a tooth, crawls, walks, talks... All those big things you always hear about. But, I never realized how many tiny, little things I'm going to watch him do for the very first, beautiful, innocent, lovely, magical time.

He was in a pool for the first time on Father's Day.
He clapped for the first time today.
He'll have millions of firsts in his future.

I take things like clapping for granted. I don't think I'm going to anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clapping is only the beginning...next it'll be high-5's and throwing a ball/toy across the room, then clapping about what a good throw it was ...etc.

I am a stay-at-home dad to an almost-2 year old son (born in October of 06) and have witnessed first hand the many milestones you're about to witness.

It's truly a thrill and a joy to have a little one running around the place, at your feet, and then shortly thereafter, up the walls!!

I just saw you on REEL COMEDY, on the Strange Wilderness DVD I recently bought. I have a huge crush on you, by the way. ;)

Take it easy.... :)
Ben

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so right and so many parent's do take it all for granted, missing the magic and the miracle of it all! I'm smiling. Love, AL

7:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love getting comments here. I can't help it, I do.

Max, Anonymous AL, Tracy... You're all the best! And thank you to anyone else who's reading and not commenting... And to new readers like Ben who are. I appreciate it.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home