Saturday, April 14, 2007

18 Weeks

First, I'd like to say how excited I was by all of your comments on my last post. Don't be shy. Keep it up! It makes me happy. And apparently when I'm happy, the baby's happy. And I want a happy baby. It's your responsibility now. Don't let us down.

I just got my weekly email from babycenter.com. It's a website I happened upon right after I found out I was pregnant, as I frantically scoured the internet for any piece of information I could find. Whether it was true or false was the least of my worries, I just wanted to make sure there were other women out there who had been pregnant before and that some of them still had time to use a computer.

So, I found babycenter.com and signed on. Every week since then I get all kinds of juicy tidbits about what's going on inside my uterus. One of the most fun parts for me is when they tell me the size of my baby. In one of my very first updates, my baby was the size of a sesame seed. This led my best buddy Deena to immediately begin using "Sesame" as the kid's nickname. It has stuck to this day.

Last week, Sesame was the size of a large onion and this week he's the size of a small sweet potato. I guess they use food comparisons to differentiate the baby from a tumor. When you're sick, everything is the size of a golf ball, or a tennis ball, or a cantaloupe. Oh, shit! They use food terms for tumors, too! Well, that sort of took the wind out of my sails. Suffice it to say, babies are far more delicious than tumors. And, in the case of babies, you want them to keep growing and becoming bigger and yummier food items. So far, I've been a fan of all the foods Sesame has been compared to. And now I'm craving sweet potatoes.

Every day I'm more amazed at my growing belly. And at least once a day I come to the realization that, sometime in September, this kid's going to come out of my body and take up residence in our home. We're going to have another whole person living here! For a long, long time. And we're going to be responsible for him! More on that later. Right now I'm just going to concentrate on eating right so that my sweet potato can grow into a grapefruit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby does know when you are happy or anticipating something wonderful, it's true! Keep up the happy thoughts and your baby will too! Check out baby yoga, it is great for you before and after. AL

8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Grapefruit, yam, kiwi...
He'll always be sesame to me - even when your baby website starts to refer to him as "dude with a job and girlfreind"
How weird to think he'll probably have a girlfriend in 16 years. Unless he's doing musical theater and redecorating your office.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home