Sunday, August 10, 2008

August 10th, 2008

Well, it happened. The ultimate sacrifice. The moment every mother dreads the second her baby is born.

I had to put on a bathing suit in public so I could swim with my son.

And here's the thing: It wasn't so bad. Know why?

Because I was looking at my beautiful blond boy, and I know he loves the pool and I was putting sunblock over his entire body, careful not to miss one little spot. And I put on his swim diaper and his swim trunks and his swim shirt with SPF. And I got his big floaty thing and I took him outside where his cousins and other new friends were already in the pool. And he squirmed in my arms, wanting to jump in. And my niece was hanging on me, and my nephew was splashing me, and I was a little bit of a nervous wreck trying to watch Garrett and have fun with the kids (and admonish them a bit.)

And in all that brouhaha I plum forgot to think about what I looked like in my bikini.


Okay, I didn't COMPLETELY forget. But I cared a hell of a lot less than I used to. And I'm not saying I'm not still vain and BELIEVE ME, I get a work out in whenever I can: I do sit-ups and push-ups and lunges and squats while Garrett plays. I walk or jog several times a week. I carry a 23 pound KID around all day for goodness' sake!

But, if you ask me if I'd rather hide behind my jeans and t-shirts in the shade, or get in a damn bikini and swim with my son... I choose the latter. No matter who happens to be around. I want Garrett to know that I'm game for anything. I want him to think his mommy is fun and youthful and goofy and weird and willing to swim with him in 90 degree weather with 12 people sitting around seeing her in a bathing suit for probably the first time in 10 years.

We had a good time, Garrett and I. And you know what? I don't even think I looked half bad. And, if I did, Garrett didn't think so. And neither did Russ. And if my men are happy... I'm happy.

One last thing. It's WAY more fun making sure your kid has a good time than it is worrying how your ass looks in a bathing suit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

All of this won't fit in the frame I got for it. Good thing I kept the receipt.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made it! The transition is complete! What a beautiful expression of love..Isn't life delicious! AL

9:54 PM  
Blogger BabyonBored said...

Hi Lisa,

It's Stefanie Wilder-Taylor saying "what's up, mama?" I didn't know you had a shortie! Did my husband tell you that I have three? Well, yeah, I do. Also, everyone loves you over at Clean House. Okaaay, anyway, I checked out your archives and you've been pretty busy. Hey, I relate to the body issues.

P.S. please don't worry about our little show we worked on together that wasn't a great experience for me. I only have flattering things to say about you.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home