Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008

I believe in Nature vs. Nurture for the most part. I'd say I'm 85% in favor of nature. I believe you can't really help who you love, and I think who we love might be imprinted in our genes.

Case in point: Mary, my grandma on my mother's side, was a gentle woman. I've written about her before. (See: "My Big Rebuttal, about half way down). One of her favorite television shows was "Family Matters", and there was only one reason for it: Steve Urkel. She LOVED Urkel. Could not get enough of him. The way he snapped his suspenders, the way he snorted. Urkel made my grandma laugh the second he came on the screen. Grandma loved herself some Urkel.

Yesterday, Garrett and I were watching "Spongebob Squarepants" when a promo came on about "Family Matters" airing on Nickelodeon. The promo highlighted a certain skinny, bespectacled youth named Steve Urkel. When that kid came on screen my son lit up like a Christmas Tree! He threw his head back and guffawed! HE GUFFAWED! I think he might have even slapped his knee.

And there it was. Proof that we are pre-programmed to love who we love. And further proof that life exists after death. There's a little Grandma Mary in Garrett, and you can't convince me otherwise.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda Shapiro said...

Hi Lisa, we havent spoken in a while. I hope all is well. Aren't you filming in San Diego? Hopefully we'll talk soon.
Rhonda

4:43 PM  
Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

Wouldn't think of it!

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when he starts giggling at Wrestlemania you'll know the Conner genes have kicked in!
The Irish love a good brawl. Cute story. Love, AL

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home