Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005, meet 2006

I thought I'd end the year with some more "Things That Seem Obvious" as well as some random thoughts and favorites from 2005.

A Couple of Things That Seem Obvious:

My friend Dan taught me something on Thanksgiving: If you put a damp paper towel over something you're cooking in the microwave, it helps to heat the food as well as keep it from exploding all over the inside of the microwave. I've been doing it ever since, and it works!

My mother-in-law taught me something on Christmas: if an egg sinks in a glass of water, it's a good egg. If it floats, throw it out! She grew up on a farm and doesn't pay attention to dates on packages. I'm impressed.

Flying ANYWHERE during the holidays SUCKS!!! (Especially in a prop plane).

Good friends will always be there when you need them.

Always leave emergency numbers for the people watching your house. They are imperative in case something goes wrong. The more, the better.

The older you get, the more you cherish your family and friends. The ones that stick around through the crap are the ones that were and are the truest.

Favorites from 2005:

Sassybax.com: these bras are un-freaking-believable! I met the designer/manufacturer on stage at "What's My Line", and asked her to donate to the City of Hope charity event I'm doing. She was extremely generous, and now I wear her bras. They're amazing!! (And the show is great, too!)

Butta-Bing toffee. I can not say enough. The best thing I've ever tasted.

Junk Food T-Shirts. They're funny and fun and they make me happy. They're essentially tees with retro logos, like sugar cereals and stuff.

Big Kid Collectables in Sherman Oaks. This is the place to go if you're into retro. So fabulous. I can always find a gift there. This is also where I buy my Junk Food Tees.

Huell Howser. My friend Max introduced me to Huell. He's been around for more than 20 years, but I never knew. He does a bunch of shows about California. I can't describe him... He's just wonderful.

My friends' blogs. Mike Markowitz and Max Koch make me very happy when I read their blogs. They couldn't be more different, and now I can't imagine a day when they don't write something.

I'll post more favorites in future blogs.

I feel incredibly close to my friends this year. It seems impossible to be this lucky. It was a busy year for everyone I know, and we all managed to stay in touch and keep each other updated. My husband, my parents, my friends... We all stuck it out and are closer for it. I'll cherish the "catch-up" days I had with all of them.

I am so grateful for so many things that I won't bore you with here. I hope that 2006 brings so much happiness to all of you reading this. (Unless you're an evil asshole. If that's the case, I hope 2006 sees you changing your ways, or gets you a loogy in your soup at the deli.)

I am going to try to make 2006 a productive, happy, less-stressed, more-fun kind of year. 2005 was pretty damn great, but I'm going to make 2006 even better!

Thank you to anyone who has read my blog this year. I am enjoying it more than I could even explain. I hope I have a lot more to say, and that you'll want to hear it in the coming year.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

Okay THIS brought tears to my eyes. Happy New Year to YOU, Lisa-girl. You REALLY are... a HUGE part... of "California's GOLD"!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Michael Markowitz said...

I can't believe I haven't seen this until now!!! I blame my many emotional problems!!

You are the best, and I am lucky to be part of your life.

On a completely different note, that paper towel hint rocks. I will try it. I actually wrote to Campbell's Soup, because my manna and sustenance, Chunky New England Clam Chowder, is like C-4 inside my microwave. They suggested I microwave it at 70% or 80% power, which has worked beautifully... but I like the low-tech (faster) answer better!

More Lisa in 2006!!!!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home