Monday, January 23, 2006

New Recipe

This is a record for me: three posts in one night.
I came up with a recipe last night that I really liked, so I'm sharing it with you.

I make taco salads all the time, but I wanted to make one without the msg-laden taco seasonings, and I wanted to use chicken, so here's what I did:

Poach chicken in chicken stock, a little Bernstein's Italian Dressing, a little Lawrey's Season Salt, and a little Garlic Powder. When it's cooked, let it cool a little bit, and shred it. (By the way, it'll be fine if you just poach it in water, too.)

Make a dressing with Bernstein's Italian Dressing, Fresh Lime Juice, cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro. Let the cooked chicken marinate in the dressing for about 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a wok. Add an onion, cut fajita-style (sort of in long strips) and about 3 garlic cloves minced. Cook until the onions carmelize a bit then add the marinated chicken and cook until warm.

Now, here's a trick for tostada bowls that Deena taught me years ago:

Take a burrito-sized flour tortilla, and dunk it in a bowl of water that has a little olive oil in it. Let the excess water drip off the tortilla. Take an empty can (like the one you'll take the refried or black beans out of), turn it upside down, and put some foil on top of it. Lay the moist tortilla on top of that, and place the can on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Cook at 400 for about 10 minutes, and out comes a perfect tostada bowl!!

Put some refried beans in the center of your plate to anchor the bowl. Then add beans, shredded lettuce and any veggies of your choosing. I add cucumbers, olives, ortega chilies, salsa, guacamole, lite sour cream, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, and the chicken mixture. YUMMY!!

(I kind of feel stupid for posting a recipe. But I'll act like it's the first in a series so you think it's cool.)

Well, there you go! The first of my recipe series! Hope you liked it! Let me know if you try this recipe, and if you like it. Bon Apetite!

(Did you buy it? Good.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Bowler Hat Productions said...

Ha!

Bought it.

Please make me one of these some time so I won't screw it up.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home